Piazza San Simpliciano (Corso Garibaldi) • M2 Lanza
San Simpliciano is one of the four Basilicas founded by Ambrose, patron saint of Milan, in the 4th century, and it is remarkable above all for the wonderful atmosphere of peace produced by an interior that has remained much the same for 1700 years or so. Outside, the lower parts of the walls, in enormous ashlar blocks, are original late 4th century, while much of the brickwork (not all) can be dated to rebuilding in the 12th century, in the Romanesque style. There are two lovely organs with frescoed decoration, and the apse includes a fine fresco of the Coronation of the Virgin by Bergognone, 1508. The church closes at lunchtime from about 12.30 to 15.30.